Judge Gives Restraining Order to Black Mass Leaders
Says Host Cannot Be Damaged or Taken From Oklahoma City Pending Hearing
Washington, D.C., (Zenit.org) | 2761 hits
Archbishop Paul Coakley of Oklahoma City on Wednesday filed a lawsuit asking a judge to halt the desecration of a Eucharistic Host as part of a planned satanic black mass scheduled for September in the city's Civic Center.
District Court Judge Bryan Dixon responded the same day with a restraining order, enjoining the leader of the satanic association from "concealing, damaging, destroying or removing from Oklahoma City the personal property," pending a hearing.
The archbishop's lawsuit is based on the premise that the host to be used for the black mass is stolen.
Attorney Michael W. Caspino told The National Catholic Register, "Our legal theory is very simple: a Consecrated Eucharist belongs to the Church.
“The Church has exercised dominion and control over the Eucharist for 2000 years. The Satanists procured the Consecrated Host by illicit means, by theft or fraud. We are simply asking the Court to return the stolen property to its rightful owner, the Roman Catholic Church.”
The black mass leader, Adam Daniels, a defendant on the restraining order, told the news site Aleteia earlier this month that the urported Eucharistic Host was “mailed to us by (a) friend.”
“As far as I know, the host mailed to me is consecrated," he said.
The black mass is scheduled for Sept. 21.
Prayer and penance
Archbishop Coakley said he's been "heartened by the international and multifaith support we’ve received in solidarity against this public satanic ritual planned next month in Oklahoma City."
“Catholics believe Jesus Christ is truly present under the form of bread and wine in the Holy Eucharist and it is the source and summit of our faith. The local organizers of this satanic inversion intend to use a stolen consecrated Host obtained illicitly from a Catholic church to desecrate it as a sacrifice to Satan. Through this legal action, I hope to prevent desecration of the Host and to have it rightly returned to the Church.”
Archbishop Coakley has made repeated requests for the city’s leaders to cancel the satanic ritual in a publicly funded facility, but has received no indication that the city intends to prevent the event from taking place.
“I have raised my concerns … and pointed out how deeply offensive this proposed sacrilegious act is to Christians and especially to the more than 250,000 Catholics who live in Oklahoma. I am certainly concerned about the misuse of a publicly supported facility for an event which has no other purpose than mocking Catholic faith,” the archbishop wrote in a letter to priests earlier this month. “I am calling on all Catholics of the Archdiocese of Oklahoma City to counteract this challenge to faith and decency through prayer and penance.”
Archbishop Coakley continues to call on the faithful to pray the Prayer to St. Michael the Archangel at the end of every Mass through Sept. 29, and asks that each parish conduct a Eucharistic Holy Hour with Benediction before Sept. 21.
On the day of the satanic ritual, if not canceled, the archbishop invites all Christians and people of good will to join him in prayer for a Holy Hour at 3 p.m. at St. Francis of Assisi Church, followed by an outdoor Procession and Benediction.
“For more than 1 billion Catholics worldwide, the Mass is the most sacred of religious rituals,” the archbishop said. “It is the center of Catholic worship and celebrates Jesus Christ’s redemption of the world by his death and resurrection.”