Leader of Nigeria's Bishops Calls for Getting to Root of Boko Haram Violence
Says Latest Slaying of 100 Is Unfortunately No Longer Surprising
Rome, (Zenit.org) | 507 hits
The archbishop of Jos and president of Nigeria's bishops says the Feb. 15 slaying of at least 100 civilians by the Boko Haram terrorists is unfortunately no longer surprising, since the group "follows a regular pattern aimed at terrorizing the population."
Archbishop Ayau Kaigama said this to the Fides news agency, commenting on the attack in the village of Izghe in the state of Borno (northern Nigeria).
Fides stated that initial reported found at least 100 civilians were killed by several men in military uniform who raided shops and, after having committed the massacre, fled toward the forest.
Borno is one of the three northern Nigerian states where in May a state of emergency was imposed in order to facilitate military operations against Boko Haram.
"Unfortunately, the authorities have so far failed to fulfill their task of ensuring peace and security to Nigerians in every area of the country," said Archbishop Kaigam to Fides. "Despite the efforts and significant resources invested to combat these fanatical groups, policy makers and the Nigerian military have not yet managed to get to the bottom of the problem".
The Archbishop of Jos said he believes that "we need to go to the root of the phenomenon."
"I think there are groups outside Nigeria that offer sophisticated assistance to the Nigerian radical formations," he suggested.