Michelangelo's "Moses," in a New Light
| 1023 hits
ROME, NOV. 14, 2003 (Zenit.org).- Michelangelo's "Moses" is once again on view, after five years of restoration work on the church where it is housed.
The restoration of San Pietro in Vincoli Church coincided with the 500th anniversary of the election of Pope Julius II Della Rovere, who was titular cardinal of the church that houses the famous statue, sculpted in 1542.
"Outstanding in the sculptural ensemble is the presence, among the marbles, of the famous biblical sculpture of Moses, imposing and terrible," the restorers explained in a statement.
According to Roberto Di Paola, superintendent of the Cultural and Architectonic Properties of Rome, Michelangelo Buonarrotti called this architectural and sculptural complex "the tomb."
In fact, it is the mausoleum of Julius II, and that is why it is has the double name of the architectural complex -- the tomb and the sculpture.
Among the surprises of the restoration is the opening of a window that was walled in and that now allows the sun to shine directly on the statue.
For a virtual exhibition, see (www.progettomose.it).