Pope Announces the Creation of Six New Cardinals
Consistory to Be Held in November
| 8434 hits
VATICAN CITY, OCT. 24, 2012 (Zenit.org).- During his weekly General Audience, Pope Benedict XVI announced a consistory for the creation of six new Cardinals of the Catholic Church. The announcement was made in front of thousands gather in St. Peter's Square after the Holy Father's catechesis.
"It is with great joy that I announce my intention to hold a consistory on November 24th in which I will appoint six new members of the College of Cardinals. Cardinals have the task of helping Peter's Successor carry out his mission to confirm people in the faith and to be the source and foundation of the Church's unity and communion," the Holy Father said to the crowd.
"The new cardinals fulfill their ministry in the service of the Holy See or as fathers and pastors of particular Churches in various parts of the world."
Pope Benedict XVI proceeded to read out the names of the new cardinals. They are:
- Archbishop James Michael Harvey, prefect of the Pontifical Household who, Benedict XVI said, "I intend to appoint as archpriest of the papal basilica of St. Paul's Outside-the-Walls".
- His Beatitude Bechara Boutros Rai, patriarch of Antioch of the Maronites, Lebanon.
- His Beatitude Baselios Cleemis Thottunkal, major archbishop of Trivandrum of the Syro-Malankars, India.
- Archbishop John Olorunfemi Onaiyekan of Abuja, Nigeria.
- Archbishop Ruben Salazar Gomez of Bogota, Colombia.
- Archbishop Luis Antonio G. Tagle of Manila, Philippines.
The new members of the College of Cardinals will bring the number to 122 Cardinals who are eligible to vote in the conclave. The Pope concluded his address asking the faithful to keep the newly appointed cardinals in their prayers. "As you have heard the new cardinals carry out their ministry at the service of the Holy See or as fathers and pastors of particular Churches in various parts of the world," the Pope said.
"I invite everyone to pray for them, asking for the maternal intercession of the Blessed Virgin May that they may always love Christ and His Church with courage and commitment."